How does Mud Therapy work ?
The dark color of mud helps in absorbing different colors of the sun and conveys them into the body, giving it, its therapeutic properties. Secondly, as the mud retains moisture for a long time, when applied over the body it provides a cooling effect. Thirdly, its shape and consistency can be easily changed by adding water, so it is easy applied.
Types of Therapeutic Mud found in different parts of the world has different properties. Mud composition varies with the place of origin. Firstly, a mineral constituent of mud varies with the kind of rocks found in the area and the process of soil formation. Secondly, mud property is influenced by the kind of flora and fauna of the area.
Therefore, it is important to learn about properties of mud before utilizing it. Different types of mud used:
- Moor – Peat-based organic muds.
- Fango – Thermal mud of hot springs.
- Brine Muds – Highly saline coastal muds.
- Healing Clay – Usually swelling mineral clays
Mud therapy is used in two forms: Mud Pack
- Mud Pack for Eyes: The pack is typically 9”x 6”, enough to cover the eyes completely. It is placed on the eyes for 20 to 30 minutes. An eye mud pack helps in relaxing the eyes; especially good for those who require to sit in front of a computer for long hours. Therapeutically, it reduces irritation, itching, or other allergic conditions such as conjunctivitis and hemorrhage of the eyeball. It also helps in correcting refractive errors like short/long sightedness. It is effective in glaucoma, where it works to reduce the eyeball tension.
- Mud Pack for Head: A head mud pack is usually thick, narrow band. It is applied over the forehead and helps to heal congestive headache pain quickly.
- Mud Pack for Face: Fine mud is used for the face. The paste is evenly applied on the face and kept for 30 minutes. It helps in improving the complexion of the skin. In cases of acne, it helps by absorbing excess oils and toxins from the skin. It also helps in reducing dark circles around the eyes.
- Mud Pack for Abdomen: The size of a mud pack for abdomen is usually 10” x 6” x 1” for adults. The mud pack is applied for 20-30 minutes. An abdomen mud pack helps in all kinds of indigestion. It is very helpful in decreasing intestinal heat and stimulates peristalsis.
- Here, mud is applied to the full body either in sitting or a lying down position. Mud is kept for 45 to 60 minutes and ideally exposed to sunlight, at least intermittently. A mud bath helps in increasing the blood circulation and energizing the skin tissues. It thus helps in cleansing and improving the overall skin condition. Regular mud baths may be considered as a natural beauty treatment procedure as it also helps in improving skin complexion and reducing spots and patches, possibly the result of some skin disorder like chickenpox or small pox. Mud baths are useful in many skin diseases such as psoriasis, urticarial, leprosy, and other skin allergic conditions.
- Mud therapy is a very cost effective with rich healing properties
- Mud therapy is used for relaxing stiff joints
- It improves blood circulation and reduces inflammation and reduces pain.
- It is also used for treating constipation, mud pack soothes the abdomin, cools intestinal heat and relieves constipation.